Thursday, March 12, 2009

Using Ubuntu for creating Music

Many moons ago, I used to have a home recording studio in the spare bedroom. As more children came along, this unfortunately had to be sacrificed as we had run out of space. I kept my modular synthesizer that I had built, but sold everything else and instead bought a laptop. Over time I used this less and less (unsurprisingly with small children keeping me busy), but would often try and tinker around with it.

Although I mainly used the laptop for Music only, the inevitable happened and Windows managed to corrupt itself. After replacing it with Ubuntu, even worse things were to come when one of the children trod on it and broke the LCD.

To cut a long story short, I now have a new laptop (Dell 1525) with Ubuntu, onto which I have installed the Ubuntu Studio packages. I am now trying to make a concerted effort to get back into making music again, and am going to try to do it all on Ubuntu/Linux.

I have ordered a Lexicon Omega audio interface (which apparently work well in Linux) so I will see how I go. I will blog whatever problems/triumphs I encounter along the way!

No comments: