Friday, April 13, 2007

Ebay Account hacked

This week I received an e-mail from Ebay, informing me that my account password had been compromised and that they had therefore reset the password and locked down my account. The e-mail went on to say that this must have been as a result of me falling for a phishing scam, and giving my password to some third party.

Sorry guys, but I HAVE NOT given out my password. I have a bit more sense than to fall for some phishing scam, and have seen plenty of examples in my time. Indeed, I was highly suspicious of the Ebay e-mail, until I realised it contained no links. It was only after trying to log in to my account and finding it was locked that I realised it was genuine.

It seems a cynical ploy by Ebay to try and blame account holders for the problem, obviuosly to try and cover up their well known security problems. My password being compromised can only be as a result of Ebay being hacked, and after seeing this article on The Register, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. While they may get away with passing off this old baloney about phishing scams to the average user, it is clear they have an ongoing security problem.

The alarming thing is that it appears to have been ongoing for some time, with Ebay either unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ran into the same situation. eBay blamed me and there is no way I was at fault. I had a strong password, never give out my password, and don't fall for phishing scams (not to mention all the anti-malware security software running on my computer). In fact, I worked in tech support for several years and am more than a little familiar with computer security. eBay is clearly unable to fend off hackers and is passing the blame to the users.

Andy said...

Sorry to hear you had the same problem - although at least we can both take comfort in the fact we are not suffering alone :-)