Thursday, February 01, 2007

Into The Final

The first game I ever saw at Highbury was against Spurs, back in 1980 or 81 when I was 10 or 11 - I ought to look up the stats and see exactly when it was. We won 2-0 (I think). It was a strange experience for me at the time, as I wasn't prepared for the atmosphere Arsenal v Spurs games generate. Not to mention the fact I somehow got separated from my Step Dad who had taken me! Now of course, I'm old enough to go without my Step Dad.

Last nights game was the first Arsenal v Spurs game I had been to since that first game at Highbury, and if everything else has changed, at least the atmosphere was as intense as before. In fact, for most of the game I forgot it was a semi-final, all that seemed important was beating Spurs.

There is no point in doing a full match report, there are plenty of those around. I thought Denilson stood out as being excellent, Diaby was good (once he was subbed we started to struggle in Midfield until the end of normal time). Aliadiere was full of running, and won us numerous corners - it's just a shame we never take advantage of them. His goal was just reward for the hard work he put in all night, and looked absolutely knackered at the end. In fact, all the team played well. Walcott did well in trying to get past people, but too often his final ball was poor. But he still got a great reception from the crowd when he was subbed, so that was good to see (or should that be hear?).

Our seats were 6 rows from the front in the Lower Tier. Although it was good to be so close to the goal (at the North End), once the ball gets past the half way line it is difficult to tell how far from the other goal the action is. I think I'll try for the Upper Tier again next time.

And if anyone thinks Wenger doesn't take this competition seriously, they obviously didn't see him talking to the team before extra time started - this was a man determined to win.

All in all a great night and great result that sent the travelling Spurs fans scurrying off early with the tail between their legs - long may it continue.

No comments: