Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Windows Update vs Ubuntu Update

Since I installed Ubuntu on my desktop, I have been running a Dual Boot system with Windows XP. While I hardly use XP now, I still need to fire it up once every few weeks or so - now I have got a Cisco VPN installed on Ubuntu for work, I will use XP even less.

Last night I needed to log in to XP for half an hour or so. While I was using it, I thought I had better check Windows Update, as it had been a while since I had applied any patches. Off I went to the Windows Update site. What a painful experience it was. First, after a half a minute or so check, I find that I need to install an updated Active X control. I allow the browser to install the control. Then, up pops another dialog asking if I want to run the install or save it to disk. I allow it to install (even though I thought I had just done that in the Browser).

Then it starts checking my machine for updates. This takes a minute or two. Then lo and behold, I get prompted again to install another update to allow me to check for real updates. Finally, after installing that update, the real list of updates finally appears.

Compare this process to the Ubuntu update process. In the Update Manager, I press the Check for Updates button. After a few seconds check, up comes the list of updates. I press apply and they are all installed (without any need to reboot, I might add).

The Windows Update process is a reminder of why I got cheesed off with Windows and installed Ubuntu.

No comments: