Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Broadband: Part 2

After getting a MAC code from Orange to enable me to change suppliers, the next step was to sit back and wait for the changeover date. My new supplier, IDNet, had advised me within an hour or so of signing up when the switchover would happen. After my previous experiences with Orange, I was a bit skeptical as to whether the changeover would happen when it was supposed to.

But lo and hold, at the appointed date/time, I checked my router and saw there was no connection to Orange (not that unusual of course) so I tried logging my router in with my new IDNet details. Voila! The connection was there, and a massive improvement in speed too. I was typically getting around 400kbps with Orange - now with IDNet I was getting around 4Mbps.

Now after a couple of weeks, the connection has settled down and runs at around 3Mbps, without the continual disconnections I was getting with Orange. This has made the Internet usable again, and it is a relief to be finally rid of Orange.

No comments: